Being Healthy While Traveling to Someplace New (or Old)
I know how traveling can throw off your healthy diet and work out schedules. With this past week being a bit off schedule wise between time in Michigan and Iowa – and the upcoming two weeks being spent in Ohio and Texas (and the states in between), even domestic traveling is throwing off my norms!
Use these tricks to try and beat the heat and stress of traveling while being food and exercise smart!
* Park further away when doing rest stops to make yourself walk longer distances.
* Pack smart snacks and drinks – such as Gatorade or water over sugary sodas. Thinking smart with food is also important – such as bringing trail mix or fruit to snack on versus greasy chips.
* Bring your work out clothes and no matter how tired you are, make sure you do a small work out when you stop to spend the night at a hotel or a loved one’s. This can help your body keep tone but also become less stiff through the rigors of driving or flying and being in a seated position for long periods of time.
* Know when to stop. You don’t do yourself any favors by driving when you are too tired or sore – so know your body and know when to stop to take breaks.
* When eating meals, try to go for ones that have high amounts of fruits and vegetables – and stop eating when you are full. Quite often, meals in American restaurants are quite high in calorie intake – way more than what the allotted amount should be for a meal. Know what sample sizings should be and eat only that. Skip the large Baklava for dessert and have a piece of fruit dipped in peanut butter instead!
By trying to keep healthy while traveling on the road or an airplane, you will find yourself in a better mood and feeling more refreshed than you might think!